Thursday 22 December 2011

Picasso !

Finally the wait is over-while people all worldwide are waiting for the arrival of Santa, I was awaitng Picasso posthumously. He seemed quite at home at the Art Gallery of NSW. But the word in the corridors is that there was not enough of him, and the choice of works exhibited.
I was suitably impressed by the clarity and purity of the maestro's presentations, indeed a true innovative experience so imitated and appropriated that to the non art aficionado, this exhibition would just seem like a visit to a Modern School of Art. Something was missing to complete the experience, and I found that in the antitheatre, where I waited in a queue to enter the main arena.  Videos and photographs showing the aartist at work and at play, his associations with the women in his life, his friends and his peers, and, of course his beloved family. Picasso the man, needed to be present to add some life and extra pizazz to an exhibition celebrating his life not his death. I really did leave with the impression that I had been to a funeral, and not a celebration of one of the most notable artists and personalities of the 20th century.
P.S. I did purchase Francoise Gilot's book "Life With Picasso" and a book of Picasso's most famous life works by Phiadon Press-the exhibition catalogue was way too heavy......

No comments:

Post a Comment